Web designing no doubt needs passion and commitment at work. It also requires facing criticisms to improve. The designer must be open to suggestions and feedback to progress in the field. Today, as businesses are built over attractive websites to entice the customers, the demand for good designers has surged and since it is a lucrative career option. Lots of candidates are learning designing to gain a foothold in the industry. However, the most important question that one needs to ask is how can he or she become a proficient web designer? We will try to discuss the answer below.
The field of web designing requires study and research. For this reason, the candidate who wishes to be a designer must pursue a course in the subject. There is a wide variety of web designing courses available in the market from which a candidate can select. A course is necessary for the field as this will allow a candidate to obtain the fundamental concepts of design. Also, a course will help a designer to visualize the modern website designs used in today’s industry.
A web designer needs to keep in mind a couple of things which will help him in his career. They are:
- Design patterns: Understanding design patterns are very important to be a successful web designer. In the digital realm, the designs can get very different compared to the real world. The design principles set the look and feel of a site. It ranges from proportions to typography, grid systems to colour The designer has to figure out the techniques to create the designs keeping in mind the type hierarchy while experimenting with web fonts and colour palettes.
- User Interactions: User experience is the heart and soul of a website. It delivers a complete experience while using a website and to provide the satisfying experience, the designer needs to research what type of users are accessing the website and the designer will lay out the pages and content with a sitemap. He or she will figure out the path users take on your site in user flows. For example, are they always clicking straight through the social media? Or are they just looking for contact information? The designer will build wireframes based on these to sketch out the key parts of each webpage.
- Software used: The web designer has to be adept at using the right tools and knowing the way around the industry standards will be helpful in any case and critical in many. While the designer can code a site right into the web browser, tools like Photoshop and Dreamweaver are ones that almost all designers use nowadays for rapid construction of the website developing assets such as logos and images including modifying and enhancement of photos.
- Time management: Whether a designer is working at a company or is working as a freelancer, he needs to stay on top of his schedule and your projects to be a standout web designer. This means getting hold of the productivity apps like task lists or calendars or, especially if he or she is in a large organization, learning project tracking tools like Trello or Startpage will help a lot and in the development environment, knowledge of Github is a must. Whatever the tools may be, mastering the art of prioritizing and tracking the work is essential for success in the busy world of web design.
- Effective Communication: Staying in touch with other designers will help one to become a proficient web designer. This is because sharing of design ideas will take place. Effective communication is also necessary as the designer will be interacting with clients to update them on the progress of their projects and pitch them on new ideas and creations. The designer should be ready to be called on to do some copywriting or editing for sites also. Therefore, candidates must take up a course in designing from the various web designing courses available in the market to gain knowledge in the subtopics.
One of the important goals of a web designer is to have a goal and motivation to work. Without motivation in work, it is nearly impossible to create striking designs. Proficiency is a long-term process and designers have to be dedicated to the subject where failures will be a part of life. But, these are the ones which will drive them towards success. On a more serious note, a designer has to keep in mind some of the following while designing a website. They are:
- Consistent Designs: The overall website design should be consistent and fluid. There must not be any abrupt use of colours or fonts. The navigation buttons should be well placed and arranged so as to make the site look best.
- Using correct contrast: Having appropriate levels of contrast is essential. The contrast will mean different things in different situations but can be organized with the use of complementary colours alongside appropriate contrast including the different shapes and textures used by a web designer.
- Branding: A web designer must focus on the branding while making a website. Even for employed web designers, networking with others in the industry is a powerful way of building a name thereby becoming more valuable. Though this has nothing to do with proficiency but thinking and aiming for a high level can boost skills of a developer. The web designing courses that are taught in the institutions provide many aspects of branding.
Designing is an art form and as we know that art is entirely dependent on the perspective of human beings. Though we cannot control the perspective, we as designers can establish patterns in a way that is understandable and conveys a message or which consists a meaning. There are several theories to designing which a designer must study and generally these are taught through the various web designing courses from reputed institutions. Candidates willing to be experienced web designers have to select the one which fits his or her preferences.